Monday, July 20, 2009

Nothing to worry about, but get used to it!

Today I learned from the ophthalmologist, I have acquired a new lifelong friend. Somebody who will stay with me till the end of my life. Someone I have to learn to ignore when he starts to interfere with my daily life.

I have a floating piece of debris from the vitreous humor in my eye that is permanently pasted in front of my field of vision. I learned that he is part of the process of aging. Nothing to worry about, just get used to it. He will be around because the body will not absorb him and he will move around. Sometimes he will be in the way, and sometimes, most times I pray, he will be in some corner, unnoticed.

And that, in a nutshell is a description of the aging process – nothing to worry about, just get used to it. The problem will stick around, sometimes in your face, sometimes out of sight.

How many enterprises have we seen where we feel the same – that’s the way we’ve always done it. Can’t change it, just get used to it. What does an enterprise architect with dreams of transformation and reinvigoration do when faced with a fait accompli? Just get used to it… As enterprises age these floating pieces of debris will eventually increase. But the resignation to change as well as the obvious futility of eliminating them will remain and life will go on.

No comments: